Cooking 101 workshops provide an opportunity for Horizons for Youth’s clients to learn the cooking skills needed to prepare healthy and inexpensive meals. In the past, participants have made hearty soups, vegetarian chili, hummus and lasagna. These workshops help prepare our clients to live independently once they leave the shelter. The Cooking 101 Volunteer is responsible for assisting the Day Program Coordinator lead these workshops.
- Support the Day Program Coordinator with workshop preparations
- Support the Day Program Coordinator teach basic cooking skills and guide participants through each recipe
- Maintain high quality food standards
- Help tidy up at the end of the workshop
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Experience in the kitchen an asset
- Experience working with marginalized populations an asset
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Strong interpersonal, communication, problem solving and organizational skills
- Must complete and be clear of a Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Must be 18 or older
Hours: Monday afternoons from 1-3:30pm (2.5 hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Commitment: We kindly ask for a minimum 6 month commitment
*This is a volunteer position. No financial compensation will be provided. If interested, please submit your resume and a statement of interest by email to Stacey Murie, Development Associate, at email@example.com . Please use the subject heading “Cooking 101 Volunteer.” You can also contact Stacey with any questions about this role.
Horizons for Youth is committed to employment equity and encourages applicants from equity-seeking groups.