Horizons for Youth is looking for an experienced guitar, piano and/or vocal instructor to lead private and small group music lessons at our shelter. Many of our clients have never had opportunities to participate in music classes, but they have a strong interest in music education. We are looking for a caring and talented musician to help foster a love of music and assist interested clients learn a new instrument or enhance their skills.
- Teaches skills in music understanding and appreciation
- Plans and executes lessons for each day and organizes time so that preparation, rehearsal and instruction can be accomplished within the allotted time
- Provides individual and small group lessons and adapts the lessons to the needs of each youth
- Encourages students to develop individual musical skills to the greatest extent possible
- Helps find repertoire of all types of music that are appropriate for the skill levels and interests of students
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Experienced musician who plays piano, guitar and/or sings
- Previous experience providing music lessons
- Strong interpersonal, communication, problem solving and organizational skills
- Experience working with marginalized populations an asset
- Must complete and be clear of a Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Must be 18 or older
Hours: Monday evenings (7-9pm)
Start Date: As soon as possible
Commitment: We kindly ask for a minimum 6 month commitment
*This is a volunteer position. No financial compensation will be provided.
If interested, please submit your resume and a statement of interest by email to Stacey Murie, Development Associate, at email@example.com . Please use the subject heading “Volunteer Music Teacher.” You can also contact Stacey with any questions about this role.